Friday, April 11, 2008

The NEW YIPPEE YEAR


It may well be the 11th day of the 4th month but today is the first official day of the year on the Bicyclette Calendar here in lovely Baker City!
YIPPEE!
Setting aside the regiment of the Gregorian calendar (and can anyone really get excited about the Year of the Rat?) it seems appropriate to measure the year by the first good bike ride! Colleen and I headed out just after noon and rode the roly-poly highway towards Pleasant Valley (the valley where it snows and blows more than anywhere else 'round here!) Although it wasn't my first ride of the year, it was the first ride without ear warmers, leg warmers and arm warmers and that makes it real - as in real sweet!
It felt so good to be out in the sun, away from the YMCA's bad music and worse TV. We were climbing hills like girls that overindulged a bit during the winter but we were happily spinning and recalling our great rides of the past year as we counted coyotes and pheasants (which are far more plentiful on old Highway 7 than trucks and cars!)
DOUBLE YIPPEE!
As a child, my mother said that dinner hadn't officially begun until "Bev spilled the milk" and I realized today that some things never really change. The only difference is that it's no longer milk but my bike chain that gets dropped. Vive la difference!!!
But then, I've never claimed to be athletic, just eager, and it always takes me a little while to get back into that shifting rhythm... by the time I get to Colorado next month (Hey there Jon! Better get my BibiCaffe chilled!) I'll be shifting with my eyes closed (but still with my hands on the handlebars- that's one thing I'm simply too chicken to try!)
So, two hours later, back in my work clothes but with a hop in my step, I have to say how excited I am for the start of the year, how lucky I am to live in this beautiful place and to have such great friends.
C
heers!!!
& Happy,
Happy, Happy
New Bicyclette Year
!

2 comments:

Kay said...

Did I really say that??? It sounds more like for your brother!

I'm glad you had a good time out there on your bike and that you took some time to enjoy the Springtime weather.

It's 76° today here in Seattle and I've been outside planting flowers in my baskets!

Love you,
Mom

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Oh how wonderful!!! I spent the last 2 days up at Wallowa Lake... cold nights, great days!
Bike Chain: Sigh...Oh the memories of being clipped in, throwing your chain and 'spinning wildly' out of control - then an awkward crash... because I never got out of the clips fast enough!
Yep.. another little factoid about my previous life! I have a beautiful road bike gathering dust... It's a ciocc.. sigh..